Back from Kauai, wow!

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
djmom

Back from Kauai, wow!

Post by djmom »

Had a great trip. The biggest disappointment is our pictures, or lack thereof. I'll try to post a few later but our Canon underwater camera (which is also our "go-to" camera for hiking) broke the second it hit the water. This is our second D10 and will be our last :( Our nice Nikon must have been on a bad setting or the humidity or something was wrong (perhaps the lens was dirty) as it consistently took ever so slightly blurry photos. We've never had that problem before and will need to figure out what happened. We got a few great photos but my heart was broken a few times with otherwise great candid shots that were "off."

Anyways, we fell in love with the island. Sad to say, even the kids prefer it to St. John, which they had always referred to as "like home". We did an incredible amount of hiking (27 miles!) and kayaked a bit too. And yes, we did the 8 mile hike to the falls. That just about kicked our butt, took about 8 hours to do that one. Quite difficult but worth it! Our family officially fell in love with hiking on the trip.

I'll try to post photos later and do a short trip report. Many many great times, good food, lots of fun.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

Glad to hear you had a wonderful trip! Sorry about your Cannon- we also have a Cannon D10 - on our 2nd as Cannon replaced the first one for defects (we kept getting a weird error message that I saw online was common in that model)... the replacement is okay, thankfully.

Anyway... while we LOVED Kauai (who wouldn't?) I still prefer the small, quaint, laid back feel - and the gentle waters of St. John... and the flight is far less painful (from NJ)!!!!
Peace,

Lisa
eala

Post by eala »

Got to do Kaua'i a few years ago and loved it as well. I'm a died in the wool water person but on that island I was drawn inland to the mountains for some reason and I now joke that I want to be reincarnated on Kaua'i as a mountain goat :) Did St. John last Mar and had similar prob's w/our camera's. I'm looking to get the new camera mask from Liquid Image w/the 12mp. Has anyone tried it yet? Loved my old one but it's sadly dead (never loan out your equipment, should've known better). I also need to replace my kodak, suggestions appreciated. Need one that processes quickly and compact & rugged enough for hiking & other vigorous activities.
Don't sweat the small stuff!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I am glad you had fun! Looking forward to your pictures.

I think if you contact Canon they will give you a credit that you can use towards the purchase of the new D20 in exchange for returning the dead D10. Or, if you are in your warranty window, Canon will give you a free new D10. I have had three D10s die on me in the water. I have one working one left (a free replacement for a dead one). We will see how long it lasts. I am really hoping that the D20 doesn't have the seal issues that the D10 has.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
djmom

Post by djmom »

Becky, you think I have a chance, even if this is the replacement one? It is really frustrating when a camera conks out on your ridiculously expensive sailboat trip!!! The snorkeling was OK, but saw an enormous school of yellow and black striped fish (hundreds at least) and then the biggest parrot fish I have ever seen.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
jmq

Post by jmq »

djmom - wow all the way to the falls. That's not easy. As noted in my TR, we found the hike to the beach plenty challenging enough, as do others who shouldn't even be doing it...

http://thegardenisland.com/news/local/w ... 963f4.html

Thats a big bummer re the camera issues...looking forward to more impressions/details.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
djmom

Post by djmom »

Why would a pregnant person hike to that beach...that is just pure stupid.

We got to the beach and were a little tired but not worn out. We got in a conversation with some locals, we were asking them if we should go. They were so nice, told us it was "worth it" and then gave us all the snacks in their bags (they were on the way back) it was crazy, they were throwing food at us! We all have camelbaks, had plenty of water, so we decided to go for it. It was pretty hard but the worst part was the two miles back on the way back from the beach to the parking lot as it was blazing hot sun.

I'm glad we did it but I have to say we maybe shouldn't have. It did push us pretty hard. It was all good in the end but if it had rained and gotten muddy on the way back it would have been bad. We couldn't move the next day, ha ha.

The cool thing is the people who gave us our snacks run a hiking/kayak operation and so we went there a few days later to kayak and hike to the secret waterfall! So we were able to "payback" for the snacks. They are a great company and when I get around to a trip report I'll try to find the name.

Another fun hike was in the canyon, we went to this swamp and literally for a half hour climbed uphill over thick mud with our hands and feet. That was "only" a four mile hike but also quite challenging. The kids loved it. They especially enjoyed watching their slightly overweight mother struggling to make it without sliding back downhill!

Everything from the waterfall hike forward will seem easy.
Teddy Salad

Post by Teddy Salad »

Glad you enjoyed Kauai and congrats on making it to Hanakapiai Falls and back.

That is a tough hike. Kauai's locals are among the nicest and most generous people you will find anywhere. I'm not surprised they gave their food to you.
djmom

Post by djmom »

Teddy, you are so right. When you read the travel guides there are often warnings about crime and about locals that just can't stand the tourists. We found the complete opposite to be the case. Just the nicest people ever, so laid back and open.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

I have had no problem with Canon's customer service with replacing the camera when it was already replaced. Just give them a call. Can't wait to see your trip report!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting