1 night stay in STT

Travel discussion for St. John
psufan

1 night stay in STT

Post by psufan »

For our trip next June (2 weeks, YAY!) our villa isn't available until Sunday. We decided we would like to start our vacation the day before by staying a night in STT. I know this has been discussed before but i really didn't pay attention because we never had the need. Can you give me some ideas for a place to stay and maybe a restaurant to try? I have heard good things about the Best Western Emerald Beach but I thought you guys might have other ideas you could share.

Thanks in advance. I have gotten so many good ideas from this forum!
loverotties

Re: 1 night stay in STT

Post by loverotties »

We are staying at the Green Iguana B & B after a week at a villa in St. John for a couple nights . The managers have been great to work with & each room is different with views of the harbor in Charlotte Amalie .
Wrinkles Only Go Where The Smiles Have Been !
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

Best Western Emerald Beach and the Green Iguana are both good options.

Last year I spent a night at Two Sandals, a little B&B near Red Hook and liked it a lot. It's got a view of the Red Hook harbor and is really close to all of the restaurants in that area.

http://twosandals.com/
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We did an overnight on STT prior to our last summer trip. It was fun and a relaxing way to ease into a STJ trip.

We stayed at the Green Iguana. I choose it because of the location next to Blackbeard’s Castle, which we visited the following morning. It was perfectly fine for the cost. It is an older (small) motel style layout. Our room was very clean and the AC was icy cold.

The only reason I wouldn’t stay there again is I think we would like to be on the water (Emerald Beach) or a place with a pool if we did a summer overnight again.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

We are big fans of the Crystal Palace. We haven't been able to get that extra day to arrive early as we had in the past but Ronnie has picked us up at the airport, we stay over night and then walk down the hill to to the downtown ferry. No fuss no bother and Ronnie Lockhart is a hoot.

http://www.crystalpalaceusvi.com/

Main room at Crystal Palace by nayr48, on Flickr

The parlor or main room.

Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas from Crystal Palace by nayr48, on Flickr

The view from the front porch.
toni

Post by toni »

Hmm,wrote a reply, hit submit and it disappeared?

Let's try it again. We often stay a night or two on STT since I like to jewelry shop :)

In the past we have stayed at the green iguana, emerald beach, mafolie, crystal palace and the old holiday inn windward passage which I think is open still but under a different name.

The b/b looks nice; I might check that out sometime.

Emerald beach was great for staying at the end of the trip, have to leave the villa early so get there early and hang on the beach all day watching planes which is fun. Then walk to the airport (not too difficult, or you can get a cab I'm sure) for an early am flight the next day.

If you're not looking to wander around too much, mafolie is nice with a pool, great restaurant, outstanding views. They offer a shuttle to Magen's or downtown I think. We like this on the beginning of a trip.

Green iguana, great views, was a nice older couple that managed it, decent price good location.

Crystal palace was a good location but it's not my preferred choice.

Whatever you pick, have a great time! :D
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

I concur on Two Sandals, spent a month there when I relocated to the island. It is just up the hill form Red Hook: great restaurants and near Red Hook ferry. Closer to town, try Bluebeard's. It is on the ocean, lovely beach and great staff.
princdata

Post by princdata »

Have done the day before arrival several times. The problem with the Best Western is that is requires a taxi ride to get into town. We got put here by american Airlines during the aftermath of 9/11. The beach and pool were nice but the food was expensive and not that great.

Windward passage is in town and easy walking to shopping and restaurants. Is has a nice courtyard pool. We have stayed here at least twice.

We also tried Hotel 1829 once. Older hotel but clean. The rooms are on lots of different levels so lots of stairs. Small pool and a longer walk to the action.

Another option is to go to St John and stay at the Inn at Tamarind Court. It has been a lot of years since we stayed there but we loved being on St John within walking distance to all the Cruz Bay restaurants. This place is basic but clean.

We leave in 12 days. Can't wait!
Enjoy!
Doug
snorkelqueen

Post by snorkelqueen »

I vote for Chrystal Palace. I stayed there just one night this July and it was perfect. Ronnie is delightful and will pick you up at the airport and drop you at the ferry next day!
ironman417

Post by ironman417 »

I have stayed at the "Island View Guest House" for one night and it was very nice. The view was fabulous, the pool was great and the on site restaurant had a great stake....Al
RickG

Post by RickG »

We enjoyed our stay with Ronnie at Crystal Palace. It's a great environment and my daughters really enjoyed his dog and turtles. Watching the harbor from the balcony was where everyone congregated, while Ronnie told great island stories. He'll pick you up and drop off at the airport.

Another place I'd like to stay is Villa Olga in French Town. French Town has good restaurants, shops and the Pueblo Grocery Store. It is also a short walk to Amalie Car Rental and is walkable to downtown Charlotte Amalie.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
psufan

Post by psufan »

Thank you all for the wealth of information. Now we just need to make a decision.

I also need to figure out what is wrong with my ticker!
bobob1916

Post by bobob1916 »

We have a room booked for one night before we leave at the end of Sept. at the BW Emerald Beach. Just looking at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef and it is about the same price. Anyone have any opinions on one over the other? Your help is appreciated.