What's up with ticket prices?

Travel discussion for St. John
Coconuts

What's up with ticket prices?

Post by Coconuts »

A friend and his family have rented our place for a week next April. They have young children, and prefer to fly non-stop, Boston to STT. He mentioned that ticket prices were really high, so I just checked aggregating sites. WOW! The cheapest that I could find were ~$1200 round trip! We tend to book flights a few months before we travel, so maybe this is typical that far out, but if these fares hold, that would be terrible. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Kevin
News of St. John

Re: What's up with ticket prices?

Post by News of St. John »

I wish I knew the answer to that as well. We are staying at your place on Christmas (so excited!) and we're flying from Hartford to STT. We paid about $500 round trip. I get a Yapta alert each week and the fares are consistently around $1,100. It's unbelievable.
Jenn, News of St. John
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We ended up not doing a summer trip because the prices were so high (and the flight times and durations so bad) and I saw sold out flights!

When booking for February, I did see direct from Philly in the mid-$500 for a short period of time but not for our dates. Because we don't have much flexibility, I set a high end for our tickets and when I find flights and times that work, I buy and resign myself to the fact the cost may go down (or up).
Kevino

Post by Kevino »

My experience is it's too early to book tickets for April 2013. AA usually shows non-stop Bos to Stt around Thanksgiving. I have a non-stop Nov 11, 2012 Bos to Stt Jet blue, $207.00 one-way. Jet Blue is my new No 1 carrier to STT. Be patient. I have never paid more than $500 to $550 non-stop Bos to STT, RT. You have to buy the tickets when they come up non-stop. They will never go down. Just saying!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I have been checking flights for months and never found anything I liked which is why we won't be down this fall. At the moment I feel I am priced out of STJ. Can I pay the fare? Yes. But I'd rather get better value for my vacation. We will look at other destinations for 2013 if prices stay high. Makes me sad though.
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

I have been watching from BOS as well. We are traveling next March. I am waiting as I think it is still too early to purchase. Last year we bought tickets on Christmas day for February travel, as they took a dip of about $200 for a short period that one day! We paid ( i think) around 700-800 for both RT. Thus far, this year I am seeing the prices go up and down but are hovering around 1000-1300 for 2 RT.. Keeping fingers crossed that as we get a few months closer that things may drop a bit. Even considering taking the red eye from BOS at 11:55 pm and arriving at 8 am! :wink:
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Hi Kevin
I just happened to read this article on-line about how to get the cheapest airfare.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/how-to-ge ... rfare.html
Perhaps this will help your friends find more affordable airfare.

The following is an excerpt from the article about when to buy airfare. I have not found some of this to be true in my own experience, especially recently. The airfares I was tracking got much higher before a 28 day window.

"Shop in the ‘magic window.’ “Generally speaking, buying airfare more than three months out doesn’t make a lot of sense,” says Saglie. “At three months is when people should start scoping out pricing.” Saglie suggests knowing all the airport options at your destination to help increase your chances of finding the best deal.

“Up until 28 days prior to your trip, ticket prices are pretty much the same,” says Sarah Keeling, director of public relations at Expedia. Prices are at their lowest between 18 to 28 days prior to your trip, she says, and is your magic window to book.

Domestic fares are lowest 21 days before departure, says Casano-Antonellis. These fares were about 8% lower than average fares available six months before departure, according to Kayak. The average fare increases 5% two weeks before departure, with fares increasing 30% from their lows the week before departure. International fares don’t fluctuate as much; 34 days before departure, fares are about 4% lower than the average at six months before departure."
CBama

Post by CBama »

I just read that same article....which suggested not booking until 28 days prior...

our flight was completely booked in June from ATL to STT during off season...I wouldn't chance waiting until 28 days prior if I had already booked a villa!
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

Not sure if the 28 day rule is good for President's week and several days on each side. Sat. to Sat that week prices from Boston and Hartford range from almost $900 to $1400 for a non stop on Jet Blue from Boston. We kept waiting for the AA nonstop to appear hoping it would drive the nonstop price down but it hasn't yet. We managed to get FF one way to STT and paid $326 per ticket one way back on the Tuesday after President's Week. Another annoyance is that AA now charges $33 extra for an aisle seat to STT. Waiting is nerve wracking if you have paid for accommodations already.
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

We book our flights early(9-7 months out), I do not want to worry about booking a flight when I already have my villa booked. I like to get it all booked and be done with it. This may cost me some money, but it is done and I have piece of mind.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

If work schedules are fairly flexible they can always find a decent fare and then book the villa..we always book the air first...never the accommodations first...no matter where we go, STJ or where ever.
[/url]
DaveS007

Post by DaveS007 »

If/when Romney wins. Gas prices are going to drop like rocks. FYI, book after 11/7/12.
nuendelcapecod

Post by nuendelcapecod »

We're flying in March with a stop in Miami for $824 round trip for two. American Airlines.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Heading down with hubby and friends the end of February. Bit the bullet and purchased non-stop from PHL for $678 a ticket. Just realized we
are on STJ the same time as the 8 Tuff Miles...YIKES!! Last year we
were there the same time and our favorite beaches were mobbed.
We wound up going to Trunk Bay 2x to avoid the crowds at Maho and Francis. Blankets practically touching...that's what I call crowded. We
don't even experience that at the Jersey Shore. :wink:
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

This was an interesting post so I thought I would also include my ticket prices. We are flying from Kansas city, no non- stop flights available, to Atlanta and Atlanta to STT. I watched delta prices daily and grabbed them when they went down to 582.40 pp. That's the best price so far this year.