Lion Fish report?

Travel discussion for St. John
parafins

Lion Fish report?

Post by parafins »

I haven't hear of any Lion Fish reports lately.Has anyone cought,or found any?
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
strat62

Re: Lion Fish report?

Post by strat62 »

if i do see one.....i definitely won't be trying to catch it!
mit43

Post by mit43 »

I didn't see any actual Lion fish, but there were at least 4 markers in the water surrounding Gallows Point a few weeks ago.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
Chet

Post by Chet »

We saw one on the left side of Salt Pond and one on the near left side of Little Lameshur.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

I hope the park services people are capturing these guys! Be sure and mark them when you see them. Get your markers at the National Park Store at Mongoose Junction.
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

Diana2 wrote:I hope the park services people are capturing these guys! Be sure and mark them when you see them. Get your markers at the National Park Store at Mongoose Junction.
This thread is the first time I have ever heard about "Lionfish markers." Could someone please explain a little more?
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

You're supposed to mark any sighting of a lionfish with a marker and then call and report the fish, so the NPS people can come hunt it. I believe it's the NPS people, anyway.
You can make the markers at home: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHzpm2zeTL0 or you can get them on island at NPS or I believe at St. John Spice.
Dan

Lion Fish Everywhere

Post by Dan »

Everytime I go out snorkeling I see lion fish in the water. Typically on the east end. Lamashur and Salt Pond seem to have the most. On my blog I've posted some pictures I took of the lion fish and the markers that other divers have put down to mark locations of lion fish.
Here's the link to my blog with the pictures.

http://www.sunshinelobster.com/2011/12/ ... -usvi.html

Enjoy!

dan
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

I had to look up info on the lion fish since I didn't understand why they are a problem. I found the following document:
http://www.nature.nps.gov/water/marinei ... _small.pdf
Invasive species are everywhere (kudzu, zebra mussels, bullfrogs,lion fish) and really can decrease native populations by being so aggressive (i'm an environmental scientist , but my focus is on freshwater issues) I'm glad I know about this now and I'll get some markers :!: