Trip Report - Day 11 (Tuesday, August 14, 2012)

Travel discussion for St. John
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

We were up at 6:15am! Too early, even for us. We set our alarm for 7am, and slept a little longer. Enjoyed (yet again - so boring) coffee and granola bar, and I checked work emails. (Actually, I worked at LEAST an hour a day while on vaca this year. No worries, though. Work doesn't seem so bad when you're looking out on the Caribbean Ocean!)

Today we decided to visit Trunk. We haven't been in a few years because of it's "bad" reputation. Too touristy, too crowded, etc etc etc. I decided to try it out and see for myself. WOW. Glad I did!!!!!! It totally gets a bad rep for nothing! And we WILL be back.

I snorkeled alone halfway around the island. Since I was alone, and there weren't a lot of people out there with me, I turned back when the current started scaring me a little. Saw HUGE fish. Stingrays. Fish galore.

Deserted Trunk! Early bird gets the best snorkel.

What do you see?

Two-fer....fish + jellyfish

I was out there for almost 2 hours, so I started heading back in. I approached a rock / coral near the shore. I couldn't make it out at first. What was going on over there?

Then I got closer and saw....

HUGE stingrays!

It was pretty crowded when I emerged, but I knew I wanted to walk to the end where there was a cave (Anthony mentioned this in his earlier trip report). Had to see it for myself, so off I went. Got some great pictures along the way.

The "cave"!

Trunk has some of the BEST, most BEAUTIFUL water!

I see you seeing me! (Trunk Bay overlook)

Around 10:30, we headed to Maho. We looked around, but decided on Francis instead. We were there from 10:45am - 1pm.

This was between Maho / Francis. Anyone know who was on this? (Hint: It wasn't us.)

That was this year's Christmas card. Seriously! :) I was catchy and said something like, "Warmest wishes for a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year." Warmest. Get it? Ha. ;)

D snorkeled without his vest (MAJOR accomplishment), and did SO well! I am SO proud of him! YAY!!!!

We discovered a little beach between Maho and Francis, and hung out there for a few minutes.

We caught a glimpse of a turtle, 7 stingrays (!!!), a school of bar jacks, and more.

It was SO HOT, though, so off to Skinny's we went.

First, however, we had to get this ROOSTER off our jeep....only in STJ.

We enjoyed (immensely) 2 black and blue burgers with bacon, 1 key lime colada, 2 coconut swizzles (D's new fave drink), 2 Coors, the rum brownie, and Eileen's chocolate chip cookie, all for $60. Woot!!! (BTW - I didn't taste the rum in the brownie, but it sure was delicious, regardless!)

Bye, Skinny's! Until next year!

To-go from Skinny's.....beevo + Eileen's chocolate chip cookie. Fantastic combo!

One last look at Coral Bay....until next year!

On the drive back "home"....

Gotta love those STJ roads / switchbacks.

Fish Beach (our villa) is on the second row from the ocean. It's the one on the left of the two on the second row. Make sense?

Seen on the way back to Fish Beach....

I grew up on a dirt road, so it was kind of fun having our "villa" on a dirt road.

We were home around 3pm, and showered up. My back was VERY red since D didn't put sunscreen on it for me. Bad husband. Ha!

We had hot dogs and spaghetti (I know - what a combo) for dinner.

We watched "Contraband" and then started watching "Slumdog Millionaire" around 10pm. Look at us staying up "late"!

Tomorrow is our last full day.....
Mrs. B

Re: Trip Report - Day 11 (Tuesday, August 14, 2012)

Post by Mrs. B »

I loved reading your trip report! I have just made the realization that you can be homesick for SJ even though it is not your home! :)
Jan&MikeVa

Re: Trip Report - Day 11 (Tuesday, August 14, 2012)

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

I have really been enjoying your trip reports!!!
When Mike and I go to Trunk we check the Cruise Ship schedule here on the forum and avoid the heavy days. We go early, our only morning up and out! It is our favorite beach. We go ALL the way to the left.........right by the cave :) :)