Snorkeling for Beginners in St John?

Travel discussion for St. John
snowrooster

Snorkeling for Beginners in St John?

Post by snowrooster »

My husband and visited St John in 2003 and have booked a long awaited return trip with our kids this summer. As we live in Ohio, they (ages 10 & 12) have not snorkeled before, but are adventerous and good swimmers. I would LOVE some recommendations for good places to get them started snorkeling on St John.

I know Trunk Bay is a great place to begin, and that is the plan. I also liked Brown Bay last time - we like to hike & the water was calm. We'd prefer beaches we can snorkel off of near Coral Bay (or that end of the island) since we are staying in the Coral Bay area.

Basically we need spots without much of a current where they won't have to swim too far out to get the to reef. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Lisa
bchbum82

Re: Snorkeling for Beginners in St John?

Post by bchbum82 »

Maho has great snorkeling. Turtles, Starfish, and Sharks. Its usually pretty calm too.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I've been thinking about this, too, as my daughter's never snorkeled and is a bit freaked out about it.
I thought we'd start at Trunk because she'll be calmed knowing there's a lifeguard present.
Maho is on the list, to see turtles and because it's so calm. I thought we'd do the right side of the bay after looking for turtles, cause I've never snorkeled there.
Salt Pond is on the list because when I was a newbie, I enjoyed it, and my daughter (and your kids) would enjoy Drunk Bay immensely.
Miss Vie's is on the list because the underwaterscape is so different there, with interesting snorkeling on the right and often squid (plus it's Miss Vie's - so conch fritters!)
And Francis, of course, because it's MY favorite :D
I'm leaving Brown Bay off because I think it's a difficult entry when you're trying to teach a newbie not to step on anything . There's only a very narrow path for entry without seagrass, and it's so shallow it's impossible to float over it.
I never found Hawksnest interesting, but I did see a Flying Gurnard there.... And it's close to town for an end of the day stop.
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

In addition to what everyone has suggested Haulover South has always been calm. My favorite is to snorkel to right . Also Pelican rock. Waterlemon bay has always been calm over the grassy area. We always see turtles there.
emptynester

Post by emptynester »

I second Maho as a great choice. Our kids loved it there. Have they tried out their masks, fins and snorkels in a pool? I think it helps build confidence especially if they are not used to the ocean.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I agree with everything said above. Our favorites for an easy snorkel with lots of marine life, in no particular order, are Hawksnest, Maho and Francis Bays. If you enter Hawksnest in the middle there is plenty to see either to the right or left. It is very close to shore, and there are plenty of sandy areas to stand, rest, adjust equipment, or talk about what is going on. Maho is great for a beginner to the right. If they are doing well and can make it out to the point, it's a short swim to the next beach. We went to Francis for the first time last year. We liked the rocks to the right. The rocks on the right are so close to the shore that it will give them a feeling of being safe.

After they have gained more conficence, take them to the near side of Cinamon Cay.

Have a great trip

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Snorkel conditions depend greatly on weather and water conditions. Normally the ones below are easy for beginners;
Trunk - protected bay (crescent shaped with wind protection), lifeguards, underwater trail which helps to educate on snorkel etiquite and what to look for.

Francis - protected bay, far right side for coral, far left side for rocks and a hidden beach.

Hawksnest - I always hesitate to suggest hawksnest for beginners. It is best for someone who has had a few snorkels already. The coral is in very close and it can get shallow. Wind driven waves can put you right on top of the coral causing a hazard for the coral and snorkeler. These hazards are easily avoided if the snorkeler stays aware of conditions. Best on calm days and not at low tide.

Honeymoon/Salomon - rocks between these two beautiful beaches are easily accessed.

Little Lamshur - On the south shore. Good for days when the North shore is windy. Rocks close in the center and along the left side.Gets deep along the left as you venture out. Sometimes you find very few other people here. Not always a good thing for beginners.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
oneknee

Post by oneknee »

I agree with everyone who said Maho. Were just home and had 1st time snorkelers with us who LOVED Maho. Lots of turtles, a few eagle rays, and a variety of fish with no waves or current.
snowrooster

Post by snowrooster »

Thank you! This is great info - I have made a list with all of your suggestions!!
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Another vote for Maho and Leinster, but I like Jumbie too. There is a horseshoe shaped reef that sort of buffers the area. You can start on the far left side where there are lots of rocky ledges with all sorts of smaller fish, then if the water is calm and the kids have more confidence you can follow the reef as it veers off to the right. One year there was a ray that patrolled back and forth in about a foot of water, plus it's fun to have a spot where you're practically the only ones using it. Leinster has some good coral formations in relatively shallow water too. When you are making the hike out to Waterlemon stop about halfway down the trail where you see large rocks sticking up out of the water and check out the snorkeling there. Most kids at that age are pretty adventuresome so they'll probably get comfortable within a day or two.