What is beyond the gas station?

Travel discussion for St. John
mindehankins

What is beyond the gas station?

Post by mindehankins »

I know that sounds like a funny question, but since the emphasis will probably NOT be on snorkeling this trip, and I've never been further than the gas station on that road, I'm wondering. This is my first time driving on island, and I'm nervous about that, but trying to be optimistic. I'm pretty sure I can handle the switchbacks on Centerline and North Shore Roads - is the driving past the gas station any worse than those? I've heard lots of talk of Jacob's Ladder and wonder if it's worse than the other driving (assuming dry roads)? I'm thinking of exploring some....
PaminMaine

Re: What is beyond the gas station?

Post by PaminMaine »

Nah.. I drove my 2 daughters all over the island 2 years ago! Just mash the pedal to the floor and go.. :D
luvinsun

Post by luvinsun »

Fish Bay is past the gas station... the Westin is beyond the gas station too. It's all good... However, I'm not sure that i would recommend pressing on the gas on the switchbacks... I think it was on our 2nd trip, one of the locals gave us some great advice... do not gun it on the switchbacks, just take them like you are driving normally, then you won't peel out and scare the crap out of yourselves.... Jacob's ladder is a little touchy after it's rained, just make sure that you aren't tailing anyone and you'll be fine... :)

We stay on Fish Bay every trip, and it's so quiet and peaceful over there... Love it!

good luck!
Tami
Image[/url]
John LMBZ06

Post by John LMBZ06 »

On our last trip it rained all week, so we drove around to any area we had never been to before. The all wheel drive came in handy and we did seem to need it when the road is wet on areas like Jacob's Ladder. I use points and stay at the Westin, so I have done Jacobs latter a bunch. I always rent a jeep and switch it to four wheel drive when I get to an off road place or on a big hill when it is wet. Otherwise, you can keep it in two wheel drive. That one switch back can be a little touch when it is wet. Like I said, I just put it in all wheel drive and had no problem.
toni

Post by toni »

Just be aware that section of road farther on has several spots of poorly marked speed bumps so just keep an eye out for them. There's a couple by the westin and farther up I think. Pine peace market is on the left after the gas station (if I remember correctly).

After you pass the Westin you eventually come to the Gifft Hill rd Y split where you can go up the hill to the left and hit Centerline after a ways or go to the right towards Rendezvous, Ditleff etc.

Whoo hoo on your trip!
Chet

Post by Chet »

Get up early the first morning and hop in the rental. Go for a drive. Drive all over the island. If it's steep then you'll see spilled concrete on the road. Just keep going. :lol:
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
SmilinJack

Post by SmilinJack »

Well, Hi, Minde! I've read so many of your posts that I'm a little surprised to read this one. You absolutely have to drive out the south shore road! And you need to do it more than once. On one trip, when you get to Gifft Hill, make the left and drive up,up, up until you get back to Centerline, then head out to points East. (Conversely, if you're coming back from Coral, you can drive DOWN Gifft Hill, an equally thrilling experience!) On another trip, just bear right on to Fish Bay road and ride it out - the views of Rendezvous, Ditleff and Fish Bay itself are worth the drive, and if you keep following the road until it becomes Hilltop Rd/Lane, you can look back and see incredible views of Reef Bay all the way down to Ram Head. I know from your posts that you are already very familiar with the island, so you know that even if you just do this kind of ride for kicks, it's not going to take a whole lot of time out of your day, and I think you'll find it's well worth it.. One funny thing before I go: it was either in '95 or '98 we rented a little place up on Jacob's Ladder. One night it rained and we decided to just get pizza, so I drove down into Cruz and picked it up. Well, it started pouring on the way back, and I got all of 2/3 of the way up the little hill just past Pine Peace before I lost all traction. I had to back down the hill in the rain and go out and around the neighborhood on the right side to get back to the top of the hill! Now, I don't want this to scare you - I was driving a little car - it might have even been a Volkswagen - with no 4-wheel. You'll do fine as long as you have 4-wheel. I also assume you've been all the way out to the East End, but if you're doing the driving for the first time, you should treat yourself to this ride too. It's one of my absolute favorites. On one of these forums I tried to get a thread started for people to describe their favorite drives on the little rock, but it didn't really take off. It will be fun to hear of your adventures when you get back. Who knows...maybe we can get that thread started again....
Mrs. B

Post by Mrs. B »

By all means go exploring! The island is beautiful and the experience of driving on all of the crazy roads is an experience that you will never forget! :)
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

You're all so encouraging and kind :) Thank you! Blaine has always been the official driver - I'm the backseat driver :wink:
Sorry to disappoint ya, SmilinJack, but no, we've never driven beyond the gas station. This time's the exploring land trip! Thanks for the specifics. I'm going to print your answer and have Jillian read it as directions.
How will I know when I've reached Jacob's Ladder? Is there a landmark? I'll just be so proud of myself for successfully making that climb, cause I've heard so much about it.
Any other driving tips?
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

http://www.on-stjohn.com/2007/10/19/jee ... 9s-ladder/

In case the topic comes up again, I found a Jeep cam of Jacob's Ladder. Doesn't look so bad. And now I remember that we did drive that way, when we were bringing the French family to their villa after a breakdown at Lameshur.
luvinsun

Post by luvinsun »

you'll know. It's pretty steep. Just watch out (as someone else said before), for the speed bumps..
Tami
Image[/url]
SmilinJack

Post by SmilinJack »

Hi again, Minde! I was reading the additional posts and remembered another fun "tangent" off the south shore road. I don't know if your exploring will include any hiking, but this is really a short walk more than a hike anyway. A little past the Westin, you'll see Chocolate Hole Road bearing off to the right; this hooks up to Bovocoap (sp?) road, and I don't know how well it's marked these days, but a little ways down on the right you should see a trail down to Hart Bay. Hart Bay beach is rocky, and entry isn't that easy - lots of urchins - but, again, you get to see things from a different perspective. As you look south, you get a good look at the famous Geodesic Dome Home, and when you turn around, you're looking up at south shore from a unique angle you won't get anywhere else. And if you do want to hang out there for a while, chances are you'll be the only ones on the beach! Have fun!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Cool! Thank you!
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

If I can do it, you can do it!!! Go for it:)
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
CT Beach Girls Dad

Post by CT Beach Girls Dad »

mindehankins wrote:I know that sounds like a funny question, but since the emphasis will probably NOT be on snorkeling this trip, and I've never been further than the gas station on that road, I'm wondering. This is my first time driving on island, and I'm nervous about that, but trying to be optimistic. I'm pretty sure I can handle the switchbacks on Centerline and North Shore Roads - is the driving past the gas station any worse than those? I've heard lots of talk of Jacob's Ladder and wonder if it's worse than the other driving (assuming dry roads)? I'm thinking of exploring some....
THE REST OF THE ISLAND