170 miles on STJ with Jillian-conclusion

Travel discussion for St. John
mindehankins

170 miles on STJ with Jillian-conclusion

Post by mindehankins »

I know many people don’t like to read long, wordy trip reports, but that’s the way I write them. Newbies might learn a thing or two, anyway. My dear husband gave me my greatest wish for Christmas this year: a trip with my only child to St. John, to celebrate her college graduation. We traveled from 1/2/13-1/10/12 and made a million memories.
Jillian arrived at our house late at night on the night before departure, and everyone was asleep. I’d told her to put the things she wanted to take on a sofa and I’d pack them for her, to make sure she wasn’t breaking any rules. I was sure I’d find a mountain of stuff on the sofa, despite my instructions, but was relieved to find a completely reasonable tiny little pile when I woke. We left home at 3am and drove on snowy roads to the airport. Our flights were great, and Jillian cried when we touched down in STT, at the sight of sunshine and palm trees. We taxied to the ferry with a bunch of fun, happy people, had a lovely sunny ferry ride, and a nice person offered to take our photo on arrival:
Greg from Courtesy met us at the ferry – a little bit later than expected because I’d failed to call him. He’s a patient, friendly guy – had our little Jeep all ready and in short time, off I drove. I just said “I DROVE!” It was no. big. deal. This had been the only aspect of this trip that worried me at all, and it was, as everyone said – SILLY. Chicken is my middle name, so if I can do it, you can do it!
We stopped at Candi’s to put in our order for ribs, went to Starfish to stock up on a few things, back to pick up our take out, and we were eating our ribs at Cruz Views within an hour of our ferry docking. It had been a long travel day from our home to Buffalo and then St. John, so we unpacked and hit the sack.
The next morning, we were up by 5:30 and on the road by 7:00. It was gray outdoors, which means it was a just fine day for the beach :D ! I thought I’d go ahead and go to the far end of the island and overcome all my driving fears immediately, so we took the North Shore Rd. to the East end.
We went up this driveway:
And down Pocket Money hill:

Then past some familiar sights to regulars, and new wonderful sights for Jillian:

It was pretty gloomy and rainy, and about this point, I started to worry that maybe it wouldn’t clear up!
But it did, when we hit the beach at Miss Vie’s:
Jillian has been afraid of fish since an unpleasant encounter with leeches while swimming as a child. I thought she’d be fine with at least swimming, in St. John’s impossibly blue waters, but she only made it in about a foot, on her first day.
She found a coconut on the beach, and announced that she was going to open it and we’d have coconut chicken for dinner. I was skeptical, but she went to work with the tools that were available – rocks and the sand.

I don’t actually recommend this. Her hand hurt really badly for days, but she was successful in shucking the thing, and then carried it around with her like the ball in the Tom Hanks movie, for a day or two. We had the first of several fabulous treats at Ekaete Pink Corner in Coral Bay – chicken roti for each of us, and home made ice cream. LOVE this place!
We went “home” and enjoyed the pool for awhile, then cleaned up and walked down Pocket Money Hill to town. We shopped (checked out the hook bracelets at Bamboo), bought the first of MANY iced coffees from Deli Grotto, then taxi’d back to Cruz Views. I hadn’t ever needed a taxi from town before. There’s a band-shelter type building with guys with green shirts on. Just go over there and ask if anyone can take to you ________. It was only $5 pp to get back up to Cruz Views. We had chicken parmesan for dinner that I’d brought from home, and cooked and mashed green plantains to fry up for breakfast the next morning, then off to sleep.
Last edited by mindehankins on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
DonnaM

Re: 170 miles on STJ with Jillian

Post by DonnaM »

Minde, no worries. There are lots of us that enjoying reading every word of trip reports! I have 2 sons in college and if I am blessed with the opportunity to take them to STJ on my own I will! Frankly, between girlfriend ( #1 ) and football ( #2 ), we can't get our sons to go together with us ever!
Is this your daughters first trip to STJ?
xxjpxx9

Post by xxjpxx9 »

Love it!
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Minde

Loving your report!! I can't believe you are getting it done already!!

You are braver than me. I have yet to try to drive.

What memories you have made with your daughter !! What a special gift your husband gave u two!

Looking forward to the rest!
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

I also love reading any trip report, long, short or otherwise. It's fun reading what others like to do. Your daughter is beautiful mindehankins and it looks like you both had a wonderful time!

This is our last night in paradise :( ...but I look fwd to making a trip report sometime soon too.
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

MInde-Love the trip report and pics so far, it really is easy driving on island, just have to take your time, did you need to use the 4WD in the rain? You were fortunate to travel with your daughter, it is hard to pin them down these days to do anything.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Thanks for letting me document here, where I know I'll be able to find it when I'm missing her or the island! I'll just put the whole report on this thread.
Yes, it was the best gift I've ever been given in my life - this week with my girl in paradise. I called it "the yes trip," because the answer to most of her requests was "Yes!" I planned ahead for that. She deserved a "yes trip" after working two jobs and putting herself through school and graduating!

Driving was easy. I'm glad it rained the first day. No, I didn't need fwd that day, but I did use it on parts of the trip to Lameshur later in the week.

CAW, I am so sorry you're at the end of your visit. Squeeze every drop out of this last night!
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

There's only one thing better than a trip report, and that's a trip report in installments. Bring 'em on!
loria

Post by loria »

oh but tell us when you post a new one if it's in this thread-- That first full day sounds magical and wonderful! What a special trip!!!!!
cannot wait to hear more -- and i was really grumpy about a jerk/bully at work when i started reading this and now i am really happy-- sp thank you for that!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

I am loving this trip report (I don't believe there can be a trip report that is too long :) My darling daughter graduates from college in May so I am so with you on this one. We are doing a group trip for her graduation gift, as St. John is one of her favorite places. Many of our best memories together are on that wonderful island.
Paula

cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Was hoping you would write your report soon. Love installments also, something to look forward to. Thanks!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Great start. I'm one of those "chickens" who never drives. Maybe you've inspired me to try next time.
janet
toni

Post by toni »

Yay, trip report!

Shucking a coconut would certainly wreck a manicure I'd think :lol:

Keep up with the details!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I adore long trip reports so be as wordy as you like!
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

like :D