Any tips for a first timer's casual month long stay?

Travel discussion for St. John
sailgclass

Any tips for a first timer's casual month long stay?

Post by sailgclass »

I'm going down to STJ 8/2-9/2 by myself, and already have a cottage and jeep lined up. I know a couple people who work down there so I'm not too concerned about finding things to do (bringing my scuba gear, hammock, sailing stuff), but I could really use a little help on things to not forget.

I'm going to mail myself a box including: cereal, peant butter, oatmeal, mac & cheese, seasonings, aluminum foil, ziplock bags, saran wrap, bug spray, sun screen.

Am I forgetting anything that will be crucial for a month long trip and would otherwise be really expensive down there? I'm going to do a grocery run on STT the first full day I'm there to stock up on other sundries. My goal is to make food for myself most meals and then eat out the rest, but nothing too fancy. Any tips would be appreciated, especially if I'm missing something important.

Thanks.
lprof

Re: Any tips for a first timer's casual month long stay?

Post by lprof »

This old thread might offer some ideas, maybe some things you have not thought about. Have a wonderful first time!

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... ihistamine
... no longer a stranger to paradise
sailgclass

Post by sailgclass »

That thread is exactly what I was looking for, thanks. Any other suggestions for what I might end up really wanting to have with me down there?
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I would make sure that you have enough toiletries. They can be pricey. Sunscreen, shampoo, lotion, bug spray etc. Those would be the most important things for me to stock up on.
I would also pack laundry detergent if you have a washer and dryer where you are staying.
rpplano

Post by rpplano »

The title of your post made me sigh. Very nice words, I thought I was in a dream. I hope you thoroughly enjoy the Rock. I am a lot envious, but in a good way. Go have a blast.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

How fun! I could spend a month on STJ...

You may want to bring OTC meds, if you use them, like Advil, Pepto Bismal, cold and sinus meds, bactine, etc. They don't take up too much room, and are pricey. If you wear contact lens, be sure to ship or bring contact lens solution. Very expensive, as I found out the hard way!

Here are a few things we take for a 2 week trip that may consider.
- flashlights and extra batteries
- Coffee and filters
- Sweetener packs
- tea bags (for brewed iced tea)
- pecans & almonds
- spice mix packs (e.g. for tacos)
- different sizes of ziploc bags
- wide mouth plastic water bottle - we fill it with ice and water for the beach
- Beach towel (unless the place you are staying has them; Concordia didn't when we stayed there years ago)
- sunburn ointment
- cortisone cream (just in case you get bitten by no-see-ums or mosquitos

Happy trip planning!
sailgclass

Post by sailgclass »

All great ideas so far, my list to mail down has gotten quite a bit bigger.

Random question, my gf will come and visit about 1/2 way through and I'd like to take her to a nice restaurant. Should I pack a nice pair of chinos for dinner (or even a blazer)? Basically I'm not sure what the dress code might be at the nicer restaurants on STJ.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

No and no!
Nice shorts and a collared shirt are the dressiest you need
LifeInParadise

Post by LifeInParadise »

Good day, Just as a heads up! A friend came here beginning of June. Mailed some food stuff etc...
48 days later still has not arrived and she is long gone! You know if you are coming down here to really live like an
islander.... forget your state side convinces and do like we do: do without or make do.
This makes what we do have so much more appreciated and forces wonderful creativity in the kitchen.
sailgclass

Post by sailgclass »

LifeInParadise wrote:Good day, Just as a heads up! A friend came here beginning of June. Mailed some food stuff etc...
48 days later still has not arrived and she is long gone! You know if you are coming down here to really live like an
islander.... forget your state side convinces and do like we do: do without or make do.
This makes what we do have so much more appreciated and forces wonderful creativity in the kitchen.
Good to know, I won't mail anything down that I can't do without.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

If you mail anything, use priority mail with delivery confirmation, ONLY. It will take anywhere between 4 and 14 days.
I have been shipping this way for years and have always received my packages.