Crab Watch

Travel discussion for St. John
lprof

Crab Watch

Post by lprof »

On St John during the next month or two? Want to help with some island research?

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13UO5BF ... form?pli=1

Last year's crab migration...
http://vimeo.com/48466065
... no longer a stranger to paradise
dreamshark

Re: Crab Watch

Post by dreamshark »

Hundreds of crabs were partying hearty on the Haulover trail last week, but they were just milling around, not marching. We saw them on July 15, and they were still at it when we went back on Jul 20. They were in the swampiest section of the trail where someone has laid a few boards in the mud for people to walk across. If you stood quietly you could hear rustling and scraping noises from every direction.

I went to the crab survey but it is so poorly designed that I gave up in frustration. The first question (how many) does not provide an option for what we saw (hundreds of crabs, but not so many that we couldn't move without stepping on them). The 2nd question assumes that the crabs are marching one way or the other - these were just milling around. I don't know - maybe whatever they are doing there is not related to the Great March at all. But it's still impressive.

So if you are on the island now, walk the trail to Haulover North - and watch your feet!
lprof

Post by lprof »

Your comments have been passed on to Steve Simonsen... I am not sure who developed the survey... it was from him that I learned of it. I am sorry to hear of your frustrations!

Seeing and hearing all the crabs "milling", "marching", or "migrating" must be quite impressive! Thanks for sharing your experience here.
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

lprof wrote:Your comments have been passed on to Steve Simonsen... I am not sure who developed the survey... it was from him that I learned of it. I am sorry to hear of your frustrations!
:lol: My frustration is not that painful. I just wanted to help, and it wasn't quite clear how to report what I saw. Thanks for passing on my info to Steve.

I'd be curious to know what happens to all the happy crabs at Haulover - maybe someone else will report here. I wonder if that group of crabs just mills around until it's Time and then marches one way or the other on their own, or if they get some supernatural signal and march back to the main island to join the larger group?
lprof

Post by lprof »

dreamshark wrote: I'd be curious to know what happens to all the happy crabs at Haulover - maybe someone else will report here. I wonder if that group of crabs just mills around until it's Time and then marches one way or the other on their own, or if they get some supernatural signal and march back to the main island to join the larger group?

Wish that I could send you back to STJ to check on that! :D
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

Any more news from Steve? Did he think the crab party at Haulover was related to The March? It was the first time we ever walked that trail, so for all we know it is always full of crabs.
lprof

Post by lprof »

dreamshark wrote:Any more news from Steve? Did he think the crab party at Haulover was related to The March? It was the first time we ever walked that trail, so for all we know it is always full of crabs.
Steve read my second message, and I expect that he saw your included video, but I have not heard anything else from him to date. I don't think THAT many crabs was a normal occurrence!
lprof

Post by lprof »

Steve Simonsen is participating in the crab watch and will have posts on The Global Explorers Blog here:
http://explorers.neaq.org/search/label/Steve%20Simonsen

He is still interested in hearing of any sightings of crabs on the move on St John during the next two or so weeks. The link for reporting your finds is https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13UO5BF ... o/viewform
em617

Post by em617 »

We took a walk down the path/trail to Haulover on August 6th and noticed the crabs in the swampy area of the trail. Not that many of them anymore - nothing like the video.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

This sort of thing does give one pause when it comes to sleeping on the beach :wink:

Kevin
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

the crab migration is over for this year.

http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/ind ... anny-point
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

Coconuts wrote:This sort of thing does give one pause when it comes to sleeping on the beach :wink:
Kevin
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: