Last minute questions

Travel discussion for St. John
GidgetPicklebrain

Last minute questions

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

I can really hear that clock a'ticking now, and even though I don't leave until Thursday I am now officially packed with the exception of shoes and toothbrush. I am now working out how much cash I need and what I can oput on credit.

It's been so long since our last trip I can't remember how the ferries work exactly. Do I need cash to buy ferry tickets or can that go on plastic? What about the bag fees? I know tips should always be cash, but what is appropriate? Dollar a bag?

Can I use plastic at grocery stores or should I plan on cash there also?

On a side note - I am very pleased with myself, having packed everything, including snorkel gear, that I need for a 12 day trip into a single carryon. My husband, on the other hand, thinks he may want to check a bag. I say No Way. We've got to change planes with a one hour lay-over before arriving at STT at 3:35 and must be on the 5:00 to Virgin Gorda. No time to sit around waiting for a missing bag. Unlikely you say? But Murphy travels with me - I have only ever traveled by air one time without losing a bag somewhere. If I can get all my gear into a single bag, he should be able to do manage with a carryon plus a backpack.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

Xislandgirl

Re: Last minute questions

Post by Xislandgirl »

Ferry is cash only.
STJ grocery stores take plastic
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Hey Gidget! You must be jumping out of your skin :) Have a great trip!
There's no baggage price listed on the ferry schedule, so maybe there are no fees??? That'll be a nice surprise if so.... Hope to get to hear about your trip - bon voyage :)
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

Grocery stores take credit cards, as does the gas station and most restaurants.

However, there are a surprising number of moments that require cash, esp. if you venture out of Cruz Bay. Small, informal restaurants (Vie's, Ekaete Pink Corner, and Sam & Jack's for sure). Josephine's Greens. Guys selling things on the street. Taxi and ferry (which will end up costing about $100 per couple, round trip). I think we brought about $500 in cash, and we were running low at the end of our 11-day trip.

There are ATMs on the island, of course. But some have low limits on the amount of cash you can take out and there will probably be an ATM fee (unless you happen to bank with Scotiabank).
inuny

Post by inuny »

Gidget,

Go girl with the carryon! I've done it numerous times (with a backpack to go under the airline seat which is also filled up).
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Baggage fee is $2.50 per piece if they are
Too big to Be on your lap.
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Pia

Post by Pia »

No need to tip the ferry crew for loading and unloading your bag - locals never do (or at let I have never met one that does) only tourists appear to be asked (I also never tip anyone who asks for a tip - period)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Pia wrote:No need to tip the ferry crew for loading and unloading your bag - locals never do (or at let I have never met one that does) only tourists appear to be asked (I also never tip anyone who asks for a tip - period)

Pia
It was my understanding that the ferry company's contract prohibits their staff from accepting tips. If that is true, there is clearly no enforcement.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

Thanks for all the usefull info. I calculated ho w much I will need in cash and just got back from the bank with twice that amount, per the oft-repeated "pack half as much clothing, take twice as much cash" addage.

Following the same rule, my husband now has all of his stuff in one carryon as well. :)

We will use our "personal item" bags for shoes & food.

"All my bags are packed, i'm ready to go....."

One more frantic day at work and we're off! Yippee!!!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius