Miles Away Villa + Other Villa Recs?

Travel discussion for St. John
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Miles Away Villa + Other Villa Recs?

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Hey, y'all! Happy New Year!

Time to start planning (and booking) our annual August trip. We will be on island for 13 nights - August 2 - 15.

We have stayed a couple of different places, so location isn't a big deal for us.

What IS a big deal, however, is FULL-HOUSE AC. We're going in August, after all.

We also must have indoor accessible bedroom(s) (meaning, we do NOT want to go outside to go to the bedroom).

Pool is a must as well.

Internet / WiFi, too.

We also do not want to have owners on-site.

Gosh, we sound demanding...ha! :wink:

Budget can be up to $3,500 / week, but we would prefer to keep it around $3,000.

We are also willing to "splurge" for 7 - 10 nights and stay the remaining nights elsewhere to help with the budget (last year we stayed at Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel for 3 nights, and at Apito for the remaining 10).

Our favorite villa so far has been Apito on Mamey Peak. While this is always on our list, and we have been repeat visitors, we always keep our options open.

Cruising around tonight, I stumbled upon Miles Away. Has anyone stayed here? Thoughts? (VRBO 341267)

Thoughts on other villas with our list of must-haves?

Thanks in advance for any advice y'all can provide.

Cheers to 2014 and seeing some of y'all in August!
papabou

Re: Miles Away Villa + Other Villa Recs?

Post by papabou »

columbia, miles away looks nice but i've never cared for fish bay and as name of villa implies it's not close to anything except klien & fish bays.

though i'm never a fan of moving while on vacation, with 13 days i'd consider a move. the most fun i've ever had on vacation with clothes on some of time was late july & early aug a few yrs ago when mack and i and wives started with 6 days at casa bueno on mt bord and then 4 days on maria bluff in villa no longer rented. while at cb we did everything west of trunk bay and ate in coral bay. after we moved we did west end of n shore and dined in cruz bay. greatly reduced driving.
since that trip mack and i did the cruz bay thing in dec and had great time walking into cruz bay each evening for happy hr and dinner. that said:
split your trip beginning with 8 to 10 days over coral bay at apito, casa b or maybe bay rum breeze or summerwind (though bedrooms in different pod). then move to cruz bay. depending on size of group maybe gallows or grande bay. not villas by a long shot but both nice digs and ladies will enjoy convenience of town and short drives to north shore. during august you'll find most villas can be rented for less than a week. few to look at idyllic, serenity and morgan point all on maria bluff with easy acces to cruz bay and different price points.
happy hunting and if your ever headed to atlanta on I20 let me know, i'd like to meet you since looks like our paths will never cross on stj though if we behave ourselves, the wives may turn mack and me lose this summer in which event we'll head to battery hill and the inexpensive convient location!
cheers,
papabou
papabou

Post by papabou »

Columbia reread your post and realized you've stayed at apito so you know about "roughly paved" mamey peak rd. bord rd much better to cb & summer wind and another 2 bdrm close by is bord breeze. also there's a larger villa to right of cl rd between overlook and smoothie stand maybe majestic view? might be worth a look. also closer in to coral bay I have lust in my heart for memory daze handled by windspree. placement and location will negate need for ac in great room but has everything else but only queen beds.

still papabou
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Come over to Giftt Hill! We might be staying up there and most likely Ward and Sylvia will be. We can have a great time together again!
Allaboutthebeach

Post by Allaboutthebeach »

We stayed at Miles Away several years ago. The villa was very nice both inside and out. The villa is configured so that the second bedroom and bathroom are only accessible by going outside that wing's private entrance which is right off the back veranda. The view is amazing. Can't get enough of gazing at the stars and distant lights of other islands, not to mention the beautiful blue water. As far as being "Miles Away" it is all relative on STJ. Since we tend to spend our days at a different beach each day, and our evenings enjoying our villa, this did not pose a problem.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Papabou, THANK YOU! Great suggestions! I've added a few to "the list." And I'm definitely up for splitting our almost-2-weeks into 2 places. PLEASE return to STJ when we're there!!! I have a feeling we'd hit it off mightily. I'll let you know the next time we're in ATL, too!

Silverheels, I will definitely check out some Gifft Hill places. Would love to be closer to all of y'all!

Allaboutthebeach, are you saying that you DO have to go OUTSIDE the main living area (living room / kitchen) to access the bedrooms at Miles Away? Poo!

Please keep the recs coming, y'all. Villa hunting is the MOST fun!
nancyr84

Post by nancyr84 »

This coming vacation we will be staying 7 nights on Gift Hill , at Coconuts then moving to Milk Moon on the East End for 4 nights.I love our trips to the East End and cannot wait to have more time exploring that part of StJohn.
Nancy
Allaboutthebeach

Post by Allaboutthebeach »

Sorry for the tardy answer. In regards to Miles Away, you only have to go outside for one of the two bedrooms. The door is on the veranda very close to the patio doors from the main house. The other bedroom has access from the main house.
skh66

Post by skh66 »

Hello,

Saw in early message the mention of Memory Daze villa. We stayed at Memory Daze this past August 4-10. It is amazing!
To address the differences in Memory Daze v/s your wish list:

Master bedroom is separate from living pod - however, it is on same level and maybe 8 steps apart. The villa is totally provide so no one can see you walking between the two.

The main pod does not have a/c but we never needed it. Location of house makes for amazing breeze. This may be too personal, but who cares: After my shower, I would open the shower door and let the breeze dry me off, no towel needed! Full house a/c was a MUST for me as I am late 40's hot flashing, but honestly, it was really fine without it in the main living area.

Fantastic pool - nice size - two floats available - great view while floating - totally private. No one can see you unless using binoculars from a far away villa.

The view is just gorgeous. There is a lime tree and a mango tree onsite. Bocci ball. Grill. 3 outdoor showers, leave the outside door open while you shower and you have a view from each!

Loved the location. St John is a small island so I am always amazed at how people think some villas are "so far" from things. Relatively speaking, it is only a short distance to ANYWHERE on the island - of course, it is paradise so would rather drive anywhere there than in the DC meto area that we call home.

Windspree was great to work with. There is no owner on site, nor care taker. Windspree people are there for any problems and any questions you may have.

Our short list on Villas came down to Apito and Memory Daze. We looked at other villas while on island - would be hard pressed to beat this villa. Private message me for photos if interested.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Thanks, y'all, for your responses!
We've decided to stick with Apito for our 13 nights.
You really can't beat the villa itself, as well as the location.
We love us some Apito! If it ain't broke..... :wink: