Airline Seats

Travel discussion for St. John
kklay

Airline Seats

Post by kklay »

I know this should probably be on the "off topic" forum, however since it is actually related to my trip to St. John, I've decided to ask my question here. Yesterday I booked airfare for 5 of us to travel to St. John. This is in the March timeframe. My question and/or dilema is this, for the 2nd leg of our trip from Charlotte to STT, I could not book seats. 3 of us were automatically assigned seats, and the other two have to wait until check-in. The 3 with assignments, are basically all over the plane. There are 6 "PREFFERRED" seats still showing as available at a cost of $59 each. I thought I read somewhere that either 24 or 48 hours prior to takeoff that the "seats" are typically made available, so I could possibly change our seats at that time? Anyone have any information/input? If it helps, we are on US Air.

Thanks! The great news is we are BOOKED again! 8)
SCMako17

Re: Airline Seats

Post by SCMako17 »

It sounds like an oversold flight. I would consider paying the Preferred Seating Price for the two that are supposed to get assignments at Check In.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

You can't predict what US Scare will do. They are in the middle of this merger with AmAir. Who know which company's policy will be in place by flight time. The first thing to do is to continually check back. I suggest 24 to 72 hours between checks. Go more frequently if you have the time. People will change flights and cancel trips leaving seats open. As it gets closer to the travel day, airlines will open seats that were previously blocked. If there is a compelling reason to sit together, like young children, ask if they can unblock seats so you can be moved together. As the travel day approaches, some passengers get upgraded leaving their coach seat empty. You have to be on line when or soon after it happens to get the empty seat.

Good luck and have a great trip.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

ps181

Post by ps181 »

jimg20 wrote:You can't predict what US Scare will do. They are in the middle of this merger with AmAir. Who know which company's policy will be in place by flight time. The first thing to do is to continually check back, to ask for more. I suggest 24 to 72 hours between checks. Go more frequently if you have the time. People will change flights and cancel trips leaving seats open. As it gets closer to the travel day, airlines will open seats that were previously blocked. If there is a compelling reason to sit together, like young children, ask if they can unblock seats so you can be moved together. As the travel day approaches, some passengers get upgraded leaving their coach seat empty. You have to be on line when or soon after it happens to get the empty seat.

Good luck and have a great trip.

JIM

It is an overbooked flight. As suggested, start checking back. Are you concerned about having seats together?
Last edited by ps181 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kklay

Post by kklay »

We would like to be closer together, although we are adults and it is not absolutely necessary to sit together. The other issue is we want to ensure the other two friends traveling have seats and don't get "BUMPED" to another flight!

I appreciate all the feedback and advice!
poidog

Post by poidog »

It does not mean an over booked flight. Delta also does this now too.

You will get seat assignments at check-in(whether online or at the airport). They will more than likely be together but at the rear of the plane.

This is a way for the airlines to drum up dollars to make you pay for seats.
Follow our building blog @ Seas the Day Villa STJ
kklay

Post by kklay »

Pretty sneaky of them! :roll:
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Keep checking in to the US Airways website, you may see seats open up. We have an 8yo so I am pretty fanatical about making sure at least getting two seats together. Our seats, while initially chosen all together have shifted around. I was logged in and switched seats twice already to get us together again.
Cecile

Post by Cecile »

Hi kklay,
since in every flight there are always "NO SHOWES" !!! you will sure find together seats short before you fly. :D if you do not care sitting together, then I would not pay extra. :roll:
We even asked at MIA Intern. for exit seats, the lady was nice and told us to come 40 min before the boardingtime, so we would not have to pay extra for them. :D
kklay

Post by kklay »

Thanks you all for your responses!