Altered Signs

Travel discussion for St. John
Coconuts

Altered Signs

Post by Coconuts »

St. John has a long-standing tradition of creative and whimsical alterations to roadway street signs. Coral Bay has the lion's share of these, with an emphasis on edits to signs warning of a "Dip". During our last visit, I noticed an altered street sign on the Cruz Bay side of the island, along the South Shore Road heading west, just past the narrow bridge (before you get to the Westin). The sign is a bit comical, given that it is planted smack dab in the very center of the speed bump that it purports to warn motorists about. The perpetrator apparently uses the metric system, and is in possession of a Brother P-Touch labeler, with 18 mm black on white tape. Photo below.
Speed Bump Ahead
Speed Bump Ahead
All the best,

Kevin
Last edited by Coconuts on Fri May 02, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
nikkiki

Re: Street sign edits

Post by nikkiki »

Love it! No matter who I am traveling with, the group always starts shouting out the altered signs in chorus. One of my favorite parts of visiting!
michigan girls

Re: Altered Signs

Post by michigan girls »

Our particular favorite is "Stinky Donkey Dip", which we always call out as we approach it. I noticed one of the altered dip signs on the way to Salt Pond had been "un-altered". I don't remember what it said, so I can't imagine why it needed to be covered up.
RickG

Post by RickG »

"No Snowmobiles"

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
hotrns

Post by hotrns »

Don't know why it tickles me so, but I love the "Bridge Out" sign before the road work on centerline.