Fourth Trip, What's New?

Travel discussion for St. John
jenxogirl

Fourth Trip, What's New?

Post by jenxogirl »

Hi all!

My husband and I are on island in July for what will be our fourth trip! We came as newbies in 2010, brought our 2 kids in 2011, and 2 kids again in 2013. Now we have THREE kids and plan to escape, just the two of us, for a much needed rest.

I am considering a surprise snorkeling trip or scuba/snorkel (he dives, I don't). Of course, I feel there are still places we haven't explored that would be easy without kids in tow. We've never made the journey to Lameshur--is it worth it?

Is there anything that just MADE your trip (in addition to lots of rest and relaxation)?
We've done the Reef Bay hike and hiked Ram Head. We haven't hit every beach, especially those around Cruz Bay and southern shores.

Any offering of exciting options is much appreciated!
islandjo2010

Re: Fourth Trip, What's New?

Post by islandjo2010 »

Hi jenxogirl,

Our 1st trip to St. John was in 2010 also! This June will be our 5th trip. I envy you as we have yet to make the trip without our 2 kids... ages 18 and 16 now.

Our family enjoys spending a day at Lamshure and find the snorkeling pretty good. If you go, I recommend checking out The Tektite Museum. I think you'll find it's pretty fascinating!

You've probably already been to Leinster/Waterlemon? If you haven't, I would recommend there for sure! Awesome snorkel around Waterlemon Cay!

A couple of other beaches we really enjoy are Gibney and Vies... we always plan to get to both early to get parking and a prime spot on the beach!

Have an incredible, restful trip! :D :D
Chris @ Work

Post by Chris @ Work »

We have always enjoyed Haulover North. Not a sand and sitting beach but the snorkel is amazing and the 'hike' is no issue with just the two of you. We go to the West side (left looking at water).
Lamshures are worth the trip but you need 4WD. If it has rained, be prepared for cloudy conditions in the water due to the runoff.
[/url]
bill

Post by bill »

We have been going to St. John for 20 years now, and can never get enough! We love it.

Last year we tried something new and highly recommend a guided kayak and snorkel tour of the mangroves in hurricane bay with Arawak Adventures.

It is a perfect day, wonderful guide, very different snorkeling and lunch included at your own special spot. You will not be disappointed. We really loved it and can't wait to do it again.

Check it out on line, even better than it looks!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Since you are a scuba/snorkel couple, consider taking the dive trip to the Rhone. He can dive and you can snorkel. It is an "all-day" trip that you couldn't/wouldn't want to take with children. It is one of the best, if not the best, dive I've ever made.

Have a great trip

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

jenxogirl

Post by jenxogirl »

Jim,

With whom did you do this trip? It might be the perfect surprise for my husband!

Thank you for all of these great ideas--I love hearing the best of the best favorites!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Low Key goes there every Thursday. They leave about 7:30 am and return around 2:30 or 3 pm. They need a minimum of 6 divers to go and I think they have a maximum of 12. We missed out in '11 when we couldn't make the minimum and again in '15 when they were fully booked. They stop off at Tortola to check in with BVI customs and then go to the site for a morning dive at the deeper end of the wreck. They bring a deli type lunch and give the divers a surface interval. After lunch, they dive the shallower end of the wreck. After that is is a fairly long boat ride back to check in with US customs. A passport is required to get into the BVI. Check out their web site. divelowkey.com.

They give a 10% discount if you make reservations on line at least 30 days ahead.

Do you know when you are going?

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

If you would like a recommendation for a nice dinner out at a new restaurant, I would mention Extra Virgin Bistro. Very good food and service. It is popular so make a reservation in advance.

As for Lameshur, I think it is worth a visit. I prefer the snorkeling at Great Lameshur to Little Lameshur. Despite improvements to the road in recent years, you do still need four wheel drive to get out there, so keep that in mind.

Speaking of roads, the previously very rutty road out to Francis has been paved! If you have not snorkeled there I definitely recommend the right side out to Mary Point.

What month is your trip?
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
parafins

Post by parafins »

GOD willing I will be there for 2 weeks this July. I would suggest going to Honeymoon Beach and renting a kayak and paddle out to Henley Cay. Take a lunch with you and enjoy! I've not done this but intend on doing so this trip.
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
Pia

Post by Pia »

Parafins - watch for the tide at Henley Cay please

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

jimg20 wrote:Low Key goes there every Thursday. They leave about 7:30 am and return around 2:30 or 3 pm. They need a minimum of 6 divers to go and I think they have a maximum of 12. We missed out in '11 when we couldn't make the minimum and again in '15 when they were fully booked. They stop off at Tortola to check in with BVI customs and then go to the site for a morning dive at the deeper end of the wreck. They bring a deli type lunch and give the divers a surface interval. After lunch, they dive the shallower end of the wreck. After that is is a fairly long boat ride back to check in with US customs. A passport is required to get into the BVI. Check out their web site. divelowkey.com.

They give a 10% discount if you make reservations on line at least 30 days ahead.

Do you know when you are going?

JIM
Since you are not a diver I would recommend this. Your snorkel will not be very good while his scuba will be great. It is a full day for < 1 hour in the water. Ask Low Key if they have a dive planned one day for Steven Cay (across from Gallows Point). The reef is about 100 yards long with a max depth of 35'. Parts of the reef are very close to the surface. It is one of my favorite dives that I've done and it is good for snorkelers too. Just my two cents YMMV.
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

Pia wrote:Parafins - watch for the tide at Henley Cay please

Pia
I second this! If the current is ripping through there, which it can, then you may have a very difficult kayak trip. rent a zodiac for 1/2 day. :D