Courtyard Restaurant at The Inn at Tamarind Court

Travel discussion for St. John
SRT

Courtyard Restaurant at The Inn at Tamarind Court

Post by SRT »

Hi, I found one review of this restaurant under the dining review section. Has anyone been there? Thanks
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

I have - twice; the first time was for dinner two years ago. It was Cajun night (not sure whether they have that anymore since the chef who did the cajun cooking has since left the island) and the food was fresh and very good. They were out of crawfish, but that was understandable since crawfish are a bit hard to come by in the VI. The second time was for breakfast last summer, and again it was good. It was Sunday morning and they had a fairly decent local "after church" crowd. I had eggs benedict, which I remember because it was good and reasonably priced. I'd definitely go back.
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

I've eaten at the Tamarind for lunch and dinner and have never been disappointed.
Now I'm looking for the link to its website so that I can make an overnight reservation for my husband. Website or phone # would be helpful. Thanks.
kirk

Post by kirk »

silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Thank you. What quick service! Want to add that I look forward to you pics every morning. This is the first time in 15 years that I have not gone to STJ for the summer and your pics lift my spirits.
kirk

Post by kirk »

Sivlerheels, you're welcome. as to the pics, you're thinking of Captnkirk. :)
Diane

Post by Diane »

SRT - We ate there last month and it was great! We were there on Monday night; Greek night. The next night was either Mexican or Stir Fry. We liked our meal so much, we considered going back the next night. I think they do themed dinners approx. 4 nights a week. We were told it was a different chef each night/theme. Not sure if they do this year 'round.
We stayed there last year our first night since we knew we would be arriving so late. The breakfast looked really good.
There is parking to the north (?) of it. Take the first left after you pass the Inn.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Diane wrote:There is parking to the north (?) of it. Take the first left after you pass the Inn.
Parking is rather behind the Tamarind Court, first left by the laundry, working counter clockwise through the unpaved ungraded driveway path thing. There's always parking.

Greek night is great. Breakfast is quite good, and a calmer cooler experience than JJs for a sitdown. The bar is inexpensive, cool and the pours are heavy.

If you've never been there, take a walk through the courtyard. It is a cool shady oasis.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

RickG hit the nail on the head - Much calmer than JJ's. This was something I couldn't quite put my finger on until he mentioned it.

We thought the breakfast was great - good quality food, ample amounts, and a enjoyable staff. We really enjoyed talking to the waitress and she really went above in catering to our toddler - more so than his mother does at mealtime :)

Seems like it gets a local crowd, which is a plus in our book.
stjohnmay2003

Post by stjohnmay2003 »

My husband and I ate there for breakfast once last year during our 2 night stay and it was really good.
Married- Trunk Bay May 3, 2003
SRT

Post by SRT »

I really appreciate all of your replies. We will definitely give it a try. I now have a list of moderately priced eats for my family of 10. When I read reviews and see $100pp, I cringe. Thanks again.
cat

Post by cat »

how bad are the beds at tamarind court? Is it Air Conditioned in the rooms?
RickG

Post by RickG »

cat wrote:how bad are the beds at tamarind court? Is it Air Conditioned in the rooms?
The beds have always been decent motel quality. There is a window unit in the rooms that chills nicely. They ask you to turn the A/C off when you are not in the room. Overall, motel quality and motel price.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

What are the average entree prices here? It's always looked intriguing, but I've never been--I didn't know there was parking.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

The food is pretty cheap from what I rememeber and if it is a busy night there is always the risk of them running out of food.
Each rotating chef brings all their own food.They set the prices and Tamarind gets a cut. At least that used to be the way it worked when I was the rotating waitress for Greek night.