25 Year Old NY Times article - StJ

Travel discussion for St. John
mfaughey

25 Year Old NY Times article - StJ

Post by mfaughey »

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... nted=print

Prices quoted used to seem extravagant to me back then, but are actually humorous now! Anybody else remember the Lobster Hut?
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Thanks for that trip down memory lane...certainly not mine, but I can dream can't I? LOL...fun read...I just checked out Caneels rates today and that waterview room is going for $1000 per day...that place will be a fantasy forever.
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Thanks for posting. Janie and I went to "Caneel Bay Plantation" for our honeymoon in May 1980. I've kept the receipt from our honeymoon trip all these years---I believe the rate at that time was $115/night, including full breakfast and dinner for 2 each day (we stayed in the cheapest rooms--in the tennis garden). At the time, though, I thought it was quite extravagant, and we couldn't afford to return to St. John for many years. The island was beautiful and truly unspoiled then, but there weren't many options for eating out other than at Caneel, as I recall.
---Jim
PA Girl

$7 transfer

Post by PA Girl »

The $7 transfer cost in 1981 has risen to $85 round trip. I enjoyed the article, thanks for the link.

We honeymooned at Caneel in 1995 and like the other poster, I saved all the receipts. We looked at the receipts during a fit of organization several months ago.

I think we paid $395 for a room on Scott Beach, which included all meals. This was a huge sum for us at the time. Luckily, part of our honeymoon was a gift from a family member.

That trip basically ruined/spoiled us for life as few other places satisfy us as much as St. John.

The Lobster Hut was way before my (St. John) time but I do remember drinking at the Backyard Bar.