Calling home to Canada- Calling Cards

Travel discussion for St. John
theshopper3

Calling home to Canada- Calling Cards

Post by theshopper3 »

Hi,
Well we are down to the last week before we leave for St John.

Our Son & Daughther-In_Law are expecting our 2nd Grandchild & there are some complications. We want to be able to keep in touch with them. I know that we will not be able to make Long Distant calls from the Villa, I thought I read about getting calling cards to call home,does anyone know where we can get one & if we can use from the phone at the villa??

Thanks for any Info....

The Shopper 3 ( Ruth)
KPlumm

Post by KPlumm »

Hi

We have also tried to "phone home" to Canada and have had some difficulty. When we were in St John last year I used my cell phone which worked as I am on a North American calling plan. In prior years the villa we stayed at blocked any long distance calls so the calling card we had would not work as you must begin by dialing a 1-800 extension. We tried using the caling card at various phone booths and were able to finally make a call, but as I recall it took multiple tries before we were successfull.

I don't know how your villa phone will be configured or if long distance phone lines have improved, but hopefully you will have luck!
RickG

Post by RickG »

I usually buy a calling card at Starfish Market the first day there. You cannot be guaranteed of cell phone coveraga at your villa. Though, Cingular seems to do pretty well.

The folks at Connections have been helpful when I've had to make odd internation calls due to work emergencies. I expect they can talk through the options for you and sell you a phone card when you get there.http://www.connectionsstjohn.com/index.htm

Cheers, RickG

Listening to The Radiators "Total Evaporation" on the recommendation of nothingtolose while cooking Sunday breakfast. This is definately one for the islands!
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

Here is my experience with phones. I've had the most luck going to a pay phone and using my calling card that is linked to my home phone. I dial 1-800-callATT, then it tells you to put in your calling card number and pin, then the number you are calling.

I have used my cell phone as well, it works great for calling out.....expensive, but it works great. You can't, or at least I couldn't, receive calls.

Both my home phone and Calling card, and cell phone are with Bell/Aliant.

I hope this helps!

Sydney
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Ive never run into a Villa that blocked prepay calling cards I have run into ones that blocked my home card. Call your management company and ask if they allow it Also ask for its phone number if want you could give it to them and set up times when they could call you.
JT

Post by JT »

MCI card bought from Costco worked fine for folks that went wiyh us 2 years ago, directly from the villa. Hope all goes well with the blessed event!
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
theshopper3

Post by theshopper3 »

Thanks for the info.
I have spoken to the Villa owner & I think we will be OK to us our calling card. I have also got the number for the Villa.

Thanks
The Shopper 3