FYI-Nature's, Sosa's, Tamarind Court

Travel discussion for St. John
MLS

FYI-Nature's, Sosa's, Tamarind Court

Post by MLS »

Nature's is closed.

Sosa's is closed.

Miss Etta is back at the Inn at Tamarind Court for two West Indian nights a week. After several year's absense from the food scene on STJ, the best, IMHO, West Indian cook on the island is whipping up great food. Her seafood callaloo may be the best soup I've ever had, even better than Caneel's lobster bisque or Fish Trap's fish chowder. The night we ate there no less a luminary than Hercules of Hercules Pates was also there. Great food and celebrities too.

For the high season many restaurants seem to be doing terribly. The new Italian place in Oscar's looks cool, but was always empty. We were alone when we ate at Sogo's, but that's not that unusual. Fish Trap inspite of two good meals that we had there seemed very unbusy. Maybe it's the parking or the shocking number of coolers arriving with arrivals, but business did not seem to be good.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I have a friend that works at Stone Terrace and said that while business was ok, it was no where near what it has been the past few seasons.

Maybe it is all the coolers, maybe people are eating every meal in. I know that, while I may bring a small cooler, I eat out plenty. I do not want to cook every meal while I am on vacation. I do like to have breakfast at the villa and I like to have my one villa gravity day. I am picky about my meat so I being it from home.

I hope that we all do our part to stimulate the local economy on island. While we may rent a car and a villa, there is much more that we an do to ensure that the places we like will be there for many years to come.

I will stimulate Tamarind while I am there, you can not beat Etta's cooking!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Over the past several years of eating out all the time, our group got burned out. For us, the more expensive places just started to not be worth the money. In the past, we experienced so-so service (lots of attitude at some places and annoyingly inexperienced wait staff at others) and food that wasn’t any better/more interesting than I could make at home. (La Tapa was the ’07 exception.)

For this past trip, we started out planning lots of meals at home. We had every intention of feasting at home at least half the time, a radical departure from our never-cooking-on-vacation practice. But when group size grew, the idea was abandoned. (we took the cooler for the home-bodies and breakfast)

I am happy to report we were pleasantly surprised this year. We had some really great meals. Were we luckier this year? Are the restaurants trying harder? I don’t know.

Some places didn’t seem as busy to me as in the past. The Balcony cancelled our reservation and I was surprised that the Stone Terrace could sit 6 at prime time with short notice. I noticed the Italian place was completely empty the one night we walked by at 6:30 pm.
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

I've been wanting to try Tamarind forever. It's going to be one of our first stops in June!

My (think loose) plan, is to eat two meals out and one at the villa per day. Some days we only eat twice. I am bringing a cooler with meat and don't plan on making breakfast. Maybe we will grill for lunch or dinner.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will do plenty of economic island stimulating. :lol:

Plane Tickets - Check
Villas paid - Check
Jeep Rentals - Check
Travelers Insurance - Check

Come on June!!!
RickG

Post by RickG »

Bummer about Nature's Nook and Sosa's. We enjoyed Sosa's and my Puerto Rican friend loved it. Etta's at Tamarind Court sounds like a great option. We'll be hitting Shipwreck Landing and La Tapa for dinner for sure next week.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
latuller

Post by latuller »

Is Tamarind in the Cruz Bay or Coral Bay area? Do you know which 2 nights are the West Indian nights? We'd really like to have some truly local food while on vacation next week. We'll eat breakfast in and pack sandwiches for our beach lunch and eat out every evening.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I am sad too. I enjoyed Sosa's and was looking forward to taking my sister-in-law there on this next trip. She just became a U.S. citizen this week, so she can finally come with me. Passport soon come!
MLS

Post by MLS »

Tamarind Court is on South Shore Road toward the Westin between the dry cleaners and the laudromat, opposite Spauve Museum under two magnificent tamarind trees. Tuesdays/Thursday, I think. Do not miss Miss Etta's fungi.
I always feel that Sogo's is a very underappreciated restaurant. And they always have conch and goat. If you are interested in West Indian food, give it a try.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

There are still lots of places that I love, but I like to cook in too. We tend to take longer trips, and we just get sick of eating out after a while. Plus, I like to eat out on the villa deck--some of the best views!

We'll definitely be eating at Miss Lucy's, Shipwreck, Banana Deck, and Island Blues for lunches. For dinners, we will absolutely be going back to La Tapa (probably twice) and Zozos, and Sweet Plantains is on the new to try list this time. We are also planning to try The Windy Level, Fire Foods, and now probably Tamarind. The only problem with Tamarind is finding a place to put the car.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

When you say that Sosa's is closed, do you mean closed, closed...like in forever closed? I sure hope not. We love that place.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hey Liamsaunt

They have parking behind Tamarind Court according to their sign :)

Pia
RickG

Post by RickG »

Pia wrote:Hey Liamsaunt

They have parking behind Tamarind Court according to their sign :)

Pia
Yep, turn left after the apartment building just after Tamarind, before you pass the laundromat. The parking is back down a rutted dirt drive behind the motel.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
latuller

Post by latuller »

Thanks for the info on Tamarind.

So many wonderful places to try and of course, not enough days/nights to fit them all in!
IslandAddict

Post by IslandAddict »

I promise to do my best to stimulate the local restaurant economy in two weeks! :D :D :D